Nota Bene for the Summer
- Ascension Thursday is May 25. Two Masses will be celebrated on this Holyday of Obligation, at 9 AM and 7 PM.
- The Feast of Corpus Christi – External Solemnity on Sunday, June 10, 2017. Following High Mass, there will be a procession of the Blessed Sacrament about the church, followed by exposition and adoration until 3 PM.
- Mass on Wednesdays will be moved to 9 AM for the summer months, beginning on May 24. It will return to its usual time of 6:30 PM on September 6.
- Mass on Independence Day (Tuesday, July 4) will be moved to 9 AM. There will be no Mass on Wed. July 5.
- The Feast of the Assumption is on Tuesday, August 15. Two Masses will be celebrated on this Holyday of Obligation, at 9 AM and 7 PM.
- Mass on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 4) will be at 9 AM.
- Exposition on the first Sunday of each month will continue throughout the Summer.
- Exposition on First Fridays is suspended for June through August. First Friday Mass will still be followed by the Sacred Heart Prayers.
Eucharistic Rosary March
The Legion of Mary, in collaboration with the Diocese of Pittsburgh, is sponsoring the 81st International Eucharistic Rosary March on Sunday, May 21, 2017, with Bishop William Winter, STD, presiding.
The celebration begins at 1:30 PM at Epiphany Church with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Readings, and Homily. The Eucharistic Procession with the Blessed Sacrament and the statue of Our Lady of Fatima will process through the city and return to Epiphany Church for the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Benediction. For further information, call 412-882-3027.
Holy Week Ad in The Pittsburgh Catholic
Interior Repairs Completed
Scaffolding was erected in the Church in late January as restoration work began on the water damage from the leaking roof. The work is now completed.
During the summer of 2016, extensive repairs were made to the roof of St. Boniface Church, which included the removal of the roof tiles and replacement of the waterproof underlayment.
Pueri Cantorum (Children’s Choir)
St. John XXIII Parish is pleased to offer opportunities for children ages 8 and up to sing in the Pueri Cantorum (Children’s Choir) ensemble!
No audition is necessary, but the ability to sing tunefully is preferred. The choir rehearses on Saturday mornings from 10-11 a.m. at the St. Boniface site of Holy Wisdom/St. John XXIII Parish in the Northside. Rehearsals will provide free instruction in sight singing, part singing, Gregorian chant, Latin pronunciation, and child vocal technique.
The Pueri Cantorum sings at select High Masses during Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter, and at select Saturday morning Low Masses. In addition, singers in grades 9-12 have the opportunity to be Schola Apprentices, singing with the Adult Schola for select rehearsals and Masses. For more information, or to register, please contact conductor Mrs. Sharon Burchill at email@example.com.
Soli Deo Gloria!
Children’s Choir – Two Hymns
On May 29, 2016, our children’s choir, the St. Cecilia Schola, sang “Ave Maria” and “Dona Nobis Pacem” for the Feast of Corpus Christi.
Here are the recordings:
Dona Nobis Pacem
Parish Advertising Cards
These business cards, printed front and back with information about our parish, are available in the vestibule of the church. Pass these cards out to other Catholics who express an interest in our Traditional Latin Mass Parish, those who might desire to pray and then register with us.
Donating online using Faith Direct
Do you often find yourself without your checkbook or envelope? Join the parishioners who have already enrolled for automated giving. Secure and convenient, cards are provided to place in the collection basket. There is no cost to you. The parish code for Saint John XXIII Parish is PA678. Those wishing to subscribe to this service can sign up by visiting faithdirect.net or by calling 866-507-8757.