St. John XXIII Youth Choirs: Chant Camp and the Upcoming 2017-2018 Season
A wonderful group of nearly 30 children and young adults participated in the very first parish “Chant Camp” in August 2017! The camp was 3 days long, lasting from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. on August 16th, 17th, and 18th. Led by Mrs. Sharon Burchill, campers were introduced to the fundamentals of Gregorian chant, with lessons and activities teaching chant notation, Latin pronunciation, vocal technique, solfege, and modality. The campers beautifully put their training to the test by singing the Missa de Angelis, Ubi Caritas, Ave Verum Corpus, and Salve Regina at Sunday’s High Mass on August 20th! A very sincere “thank you” goes to Mrs. Burchill, Fr. Dolan, the Holy Wisdom staff, and the parents of these great kids for their generosity and support of this exciting program. What a blessing to see so many young faces sharing the treasured sacred chant of the Catholic Church!
For those interested, the St. John XXIII Youth Choirs will begin rehearsals for the 2017-2018 season on Saturday, September 16th in the Archives Room below the church. The Pueri Cantorum, open to children ages 8 to 12, will rehearse from 10 – 11am. The High School Schola, open to young adults ages 13 and up, will rehearse from 11am – noon. For more information, or to register, please contact conductor Mrs. Sharon Burchill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parish Picnic – Sunday September 24
We will have our Family Picnic, Hayride, & Bonfire on Sunday, September 24 from 4:00 to 7:00 PM at Youthtowne in Clinton, PA. Youthtowne is located off Route 30, west of the city of Pittsburgh.
Dinner is planned from 4:00 to 5:30. The hayrides will begin at 4:15 PM and the bonfire will be lit at 5:30 PM. You are invited to bring chairs, sports equipment and outdoor games.
The cost is $10 per family, which includes hot dogs, hamburgers, s’mores and bottled water.
You are welcome to bring additional beverages for your family and a dish to share is requested.
Please call Peggy Wrabley (412-922-0439) or Chuck Friend (412-818-7577) with questions and your interest to lend a hand.
Download the Picnic flyer
Mark your calendar: Mass at the Cathedral on October 15
Looking Ahead Towards Fall
- August 19 @ 3 PM – Altar Servers’ Picnic at the Hete Farm
- Friday Sept. 1 – First Friday Exposition after Mass returns
- Labor Day – Mass at 9 AM instead of noon
- Wednesday Sept. 6 – Mass returns to 6 PM (followed by altar server and choir practice)
- Sunday Sept. 10 – Catechism Classes resume
- Tuesday Oct. 3 – High Mass to conclude the St. Therese of the Child Jesus Triduum
- Sunday Sept. 24 – Parish Picnic
- Thanksgiving – Mass at 9 AM; no Mass on Friday Nov. 24
- Christmas Season Luncheon – Third Sunday of Advent (Dec. 17)
- New Year’s Eve – Social at 9:30 PM, Holy Hour at 11, Mass at Midnight
Nota Bene for the Summer
- Ascension Thursday is May 25. Two Masses will be celebrated on this Holyday of Obligation, at 9 AM and 7 PM.
- The Feast of Corpus Christi – External Solemnity on Sunday, June 10, 2017. Following High Mass, there will be a procession of the Blessed Sacrament about the church, followed by exposition and adoration until 3 PM.
- Mass on Wednesdays will be moved to 9 AM for the summer months, beginning on May 24. It will return to its usual time of 6:30 PM on September 6.
- Mass on Independence Day (Tuesday, July 4) will be moved to 9 AM. There will be no Mass on Wed. July 5.
- The Feast of the Assumption is on Tuesday, August 15. Two Masses will be celebrated on this Holyday of Obligation, at 9 AM and 7 PM.
- Mass on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 4) will be at 9 AM.
- Exposition on the first Sunday of each month will continue throughout the Summer.
- Exposition on First Fridays is suspended for June through August. First Friday Mass will still be followed by the Sacred Heart Prayers.
Eucharistic Rosary March
The Legion of Mary, in collaboration with the Diocese of Pittsburgh, is sponsoring the 81st International Eucharistic Rosary March on Sunday, May 21, 2017, with Bishop William Winter, STD, presiding.
The celebration begins at 1:30 PM at Epiphany Church with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Readings, and Homily. The Eucharistic Procession with the Blessed Sacrament and the statue of Our Lady of Fatima will process through the city and return to Epiphany Church for the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Benediction. For further information, call 412-882-3027.
Holy Week Ad in The Pittsburgh Catholic
Interior Repairs Completed
Scaffolding was erected in the Church in late January as restoration work began on the water damage from the leaking roof. The work is now completed.
During the summer of 2016, extensive repairs were made to the roof of St. Boniface Church, which included the removal of the roof tiles and replacement of the waterproof underlayment.
Pueri Cantorum (Children’s Choir)
St. John XXIII Parish is pleased to offer opportunities for children ages 8 and up to sing in the Pueri Cantorum (Children’s Choir) ensemble!
No audition is necessary, but the ability to sing tunefully is preferred. The choir rehearses on Saturday mornings from 10-11 a.m. at the St. Boniface site of Holy Wisdom/St. John XXIII Parish in the Northside. Rehearsals will provide free instruction in sight singing, part singing, Gregorian chant, Latin pronunciation, and child vocal technique.
The Pueri Cantorum sings at select High Masses during Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter, and at select Saturday morning Low Masses. In addition, singers in grades 9-12 have the opportunity to be Schola Apprentices, singing with the Adult Schola for select rehearsals and Masses. For more information, or to register, please contact conductor Mrs. Sharon Burchill at email@example.com.
Soli Deo Gloria!
Children’s Choir – Two Hymns
On May 29, 2016, our children’s choir, the St. Cecilia Schola, sang “Ave Maria” and “Dona Nobis Pacem” for the Feast of Corpus Christi.
Here are the recordings:
Dona Nobis Pacem
Parish Advertising Cards
These business cards, printed front and back with information about our parish, are available in the vestibule of the church. Pass these cards out to other Catholics who express an interest in our Traditional Latin Mass Parish, those who might desire to pray and then register with us.
Donating online using Faith Direct
Do you often find yourself without your checkbook or envelope? Join the parishioners who have already enrolled for automated giving. Secure and convenient, cards are provided to place in the collection basket. There is no cost to you. The parish code for Saint John XXIII Parish is PA678. Those wishing to subscribe to this service can sign up by visiting faithdirect.net or by calling 866-507-8757.