Wednesday, February 14, 2018, is Ash Wednesday, which begins the holy season of Lent. The blessed ashes imposed on our foreheads remind us of our mortality and our dependence on the Paschal Mystery of Our Lord’s Passion, Death and Resurrection to experience His new life of grace. Lent is a time of penance, almsgiving and fasting.
Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast and abstinence. All the Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence from meat in remembrance of the Lord’s death.
- Ash Wednesday Masses: 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Distribution of Ashes
takes place BEFORE the Mass in the extraordinary form. The Mass which follows begins with the Introit.
- Stations of the Cross: Every Lenten Friday evening at 6:30 PM, followed by Mass at 7:00 PM, beginning on February 16, 2018. On the Fridays of Lent there will not be a 9:00 AM Mass.
- First Friday: March 2, 2018: Stations at 6:30 PM, Mass at 7:00 PM, followed by exposition, Sacred Heart Litany and Reparation and Consecration Prayers, Confession, silent adoration, benediction and reposition of the Blessed Sacrament, as usual.
- First Saturday: March 3, 2018: Mass at 9:00 AM, followed by prayers to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, as usual.
- First Sunday: March 5, 2018: As usual, after the 11:00 AM Mass the Blessed Sacrament will be exposed for adoration until 3:00 PM when there will be prayers, benediction and reposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Please come to adore the Lord throughout that time.
- First Confessions: For St. John XXIII Parish on Sunday, March 11, 2018, at 10:30 AM
(Please let these children go first).
- Confessions: Before the Sunday Masses until the Sanctus. Tuesday evenings before the 7:00 PM Mass, until 6:45 PM.
See the Upcoming Events page for the Holy Week schedule.