Saint John XXIII Parish celebrates Mass daily in the Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite – that is, the Traditional Latin (or Tridentine) Mass. Father James W. Dolan is Pastor of the parish.
Check the “About Us” page for the location of St. Boniface Church, home of Saint John XXIII Parish.
Questions? Call Please call Father Dolan at 412-434-1651, or send an email to LatinMassQuestions@gmail.com, which can be passed along to Fr. Dolan.
Thursday, May 25 is the Feast of the Ascension, a Holyday of Obligation. Two Masses will be offered, at 9:00 AM and 7:00 PM.
A Focus Group Meeting for Parishioners of Holy Wisdom and Saint John XXIII Parishes to review the proposed parish grouping for the Northside will be held on Monday, May 22 at 6:30 PM in Norbert Hall. All are encouraged to attend.
Notable events during May, Our Lady’s month:
- On Sunday, May 7, ten children will be receiving our Blessed Lord at their First Holy Communion during the 11:00 AM High Mass.
- A reminder that the Pittsburgh Marathon also occurs on Sunday, May 7, causing major traffic disruptions, especially for the 8 AM Mass and families traveling to Catechism. Map of street closures here.
- On Sunday, May 14, Mother’s Day, May Crowning will take place just before the 11:00 AM High Mass.
- On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM, a special High Mass, followed by a diploma ceremony and potluck reception in Norbert Hall, will be held for graduating homeschoolers. Any questions can be directed to Patty Petrosky at 412-595- 7074.
- Ascension Thursday is May 25. Two Masses will be celebrated on this Holyday of Obligation, at 9 AM and 7 PM.
- First Friday, May 5 – Mass is at 7:00 PM, after which there will be exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Eucharistic adoration.
- First Saturday, May 6 – Mass is scheduled for 9:00 AM, after which there will be prayers to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
- Sunday, May 7 – Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after High Mass, until 3 PM.
Visit the Upcoming Events & Other News page for a listing of items through the summer months.
Holy Thursday 2017 was celebrated with a Solemn High Mass for the first time in five years. Father Dolan was joined by Father Ladis Cizik, who served as deacon, and Father David Rombold, who acted as subdeacon.
A gallery of photos can be seen here.
Anne Shober of North Huntingdon passed away on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at age 90. Friends will be received Thursday, April 6, 2017, from 2-7 p.m. at the JAMES F. KUTCH FUNERAL HOMES & CREMATORY, 433 Lincoln Highway, Rt. 30, East McKeesport, PA 15035. Obituary in the Post-Gazette.
The funeral Mass for Mrs. Shober will be at 11 a.m. on Friday, April 7, at St. Boniface Church.
Requiem aeternam dona ei Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescat in pace. Amen.
March 1 is Ash Wednesday. Two Masses will be celebrated: Low Mass at 9:00 AM and High Mass at 7:00 PM. Distribution of ashes takes place before Mass begins in the Extraordinary Form.
Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast (ages 18-59) and abstinence (ages 14+). All the Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence from meat.
Stations of the Cross: Every Lenten Friday evening at 6:30 PM, followed by Mass at 7:00 PM (except on Good Friday). On the Fridays of Lent there will not be a 9:00 AM Mass.