Saint John XXIII Parish celebrates Mass daily in the Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite – that is, the Traditional Latin (or Tridentine) Mass. Canon William Avis is Pastor of the parish.
Check the “About Us” page for the location of St. Boniface Church, home of Saint John XXIII Parish. The parish is staffed by priests of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest
Questions? Please send an email to LatinMassQuestions@gmail.com, which can be passed along to Canon Avis.
Holy Week & Easter
|Palm Sunday, April 14
||Low Mass (Blessing of palms before Mass)
||Solemn Blessing of Palms, Procession, and High Mass
|Holy Thursday, April 18
||High Mass, followed by Procession of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Vespers, and Stripping of the Altar.
Adoration until Midnight.
|Good Friday, April 19
||Stations of the Cross
||Sermon on the Passion of Our Lord
||Mass of the Presanctified
|Holy Saturday, April 20
||Easter Vigil at Risen Lord Church,
3250 California Avenue.
|Easter Sunday, April 21
Mid-way through Lent, Easter can seem still a long ways off. Come join us for a Lenten Day of Recollection with Canon Michael Stein on Saturday, March 23rd at St. Boniface Church.
Update: Videos of both conferences are now available:
HERE and HERE.
- 8:30 AM – Confessions (regular schedule)
- 9 AM – Low Mass (regular schedule)
- 10 AM – Coffee & Bagels
- 10:30 AM – First Conference: A Catechism of Mortification
- 11:30 AM – Holy Hour of Adoration (time for confessions)
- 12:45 PM – Lunch (please, bring your own sack-lunch)
- 1:30 PM – Second Conference: Practices of Penance with St. Francis de Sales
- 2:30 PM – Stations of the Cross
(Both conference videos are also permanently linked from the Sermons page)
- Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 is Ash Wednesday, a day of Fasting and Abstinence. Low Mass is at 9 AM, and High Mass at 7 PM.
- All Fridays of Lent: Stations of the Cross at 7 PM, followed by Low Mass at 7:45 PM.
- Thursday, March 7th, the Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, a patron of the Institute, will be celebrated with a Low Mass with Organ at 7 PM. A plenary indulgence is available on this feast for those hearing Mass.
- Tuesday, March 19th, the Feast of St. Joseph: High Mass at 7 PM.
- Thursday, March 21st, the Feast of St. Benedict, will be celebrated with a Low Mass with Organ at 7 PM. A plenary indulgence is available on this feast for those hearing Mass.
- Saturday, March 23 – A Day of Recollection by Canon Michael Stein on “Lent in the Spirit of St. Francis de Sales” from 8:30 AM to 3 PM.
- Sunday, March 24 – 40Days for Life — Parish Day of Prayer, 7 AM to 7 PM.
- Monday, March 25th, the Feast of the Annunciation: High Mass at 7 PM.
- Sunday, March 31st – Confirmation of 23 candidates by Bishop Zubik followed by Solemn Mass and a catered reception in Norbert Hall. Please be seated by 10:45 AM.
Precept on Fasting & Abstinence
Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to FAST on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. On these days only one full meal is permitted. Up to two collations (smaller meals which added together would not equal a full meal) are allowed if needed.
All Catholics 14 years old and older are obliged to ABSTAIN from meat, soup and gravy made from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent.
Fasting Prayer: Grant, we beseech Thee, almighty God, that Thy servants who discipline the body by fasting from food, may strive after righteousness by abstaining from sin. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
©Photo by Jerry Naunheim Jr.
In the first year after priestly ordination, a newly-ordained priest may offer a “first” Mass in different places. This benefits the faithful by providing them an opportunity to gain the indulgences attached to a “first” Mass.
Canon Benjamin Norman
, who was ordained last summer, will offer a “first” Mass at our parish on Sunday, Feb. 24 at 11 AM.
Following Mass, Canon Norman will be offering First Blessings at the Communion Rail.
Canon Norman will also preach at the 8 AM Low Mass. Afterwards, he will be offering First Blessings in Norbert Hall.
Charles Peter Coon of Allison Park passed away on Monday, February 4, 2019, at age 75. Visitation is on Sunday, February 10, from 1- 5 p.m. at SIMONS FUNERAL HOME, INC., 7720 Perry Highway, Pittsburgh, PA 15237. Obituary in the Post-Gazette.
His funeral Mass will be on Monday, February 11 at 10:00 a.m., at St. Boniface Church. Burial at Holy Savior Cemetery, Gibsonia, PA.
Requiem aeternam dona ei Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescat in pace. Amen.
Two upcoming feast days of note:
Tuesday, January 29 is the Feast of St. Francis de Sales, who is a patron of the Institute of Christ the King. A plenary indulgence may be gained (under the usual conditions) by assisting at the 7 PM Mass at St. Boniface Church that day.
Saturday, February 2 is Candlemas Day, also called the Purification of the Blessed Virgin, or the Presentation of Christ in the Temple. It is the last feast of the Christmas season. A special Mass will be offered at 12 Noon that day, preceded by the Blessing of Candles and Procession. (A 9 AM Mass will also be offered that day.)